Daniel Rodriguez

Gabriella Maestri, News Editor

Leaving school at 11:50 a.m. is a daily normality for senior Daniel Rodriguez. Rodriguez attends the Hair Academy where he learns how to cut hair, perfect nails and perms, and master the how-to’s on every other skill essential to cosmetology. This is his first year at the Hair Academy, and while Rodriguez enjoys the hands-on experience, he hates the homework that it comes with.

His interest in the hair academy began with the desire to earn money and become a barber. He dreams of being the best at cutting hair and having everyone come to him. Aside from already being an above average high school student and part time employee at Pacsun, Rodriguez’ current hobby, and hopefully profession, is creating rap music.

“Rap started as a way to ventilate, just release stress. I never thought it would turn into anything as big as it has. I started expressing my feelings, my anger, questioning life, dealing with major depression and anxiety, and it turned into music,” said Rodriguez.

Music is Rodriguez’ first priority, second being cosmetology and last but not least, school.

“A normal day for me [is to] wake up, go to school, and write raps in every class. Most of the time I don’t know what’s going on outside of my music. Then go to cosmetology, get home, write music or go to work, then get home again, write music and do some homework, stay up until one or two a.m. trying to keep kids from committing suicide,” said Rodriguez.

His lyrics talk about life, overcoming his depression, or current thoughts to express his feelings. Rap is Rodriguez’ outlet in life, and his music is impacting on much more than himself.

“Kids listen to my music and can relate to those feelings or situations where you feel there is nothing to live for, or that you have no purpose anymore- that everyone would be better off if you died. They hit me up and just tell me their problems, they tell me everything; relieve their souls, you could say. They ask me for advice, and I give it to them. I tell them YOU CAN’T GIVE UP. Life will kick you down but it’s up to you if you stay there or get back up and fight,” said Rodriguez.

Artists such as Tupac and, what Rodriguez believes to be living legends, Vinnie Paz and Akon, all inspire Rodriguez’ music. His favorite song of his own is called “Let It Go,” which was a collaboration between him and one of his friends, Damian, and it put him on the map. Rodriguez finds it to be one of the deepest songs he’s ever written. Rodriguez’ music can be found on Soundcloud.

“On Soundcloud just type in _Dee__. People can support by simply listening and sharing the message of hope I am trying to spread, making sure it gets to the people who need it the most. I want to show those who feel alone and without a purpose that they do have a purpose and they aren’t alone, that I can relate to the difficulties of life they’re going through,” said Rodriguez.