Suicide Awareness Month

Kacie Young, Review Editor

In 2013, 41,449 people in the United States died by suicide, according to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, or the AFSP. That means that someone took their own life every 12 minutes. Suicide prevention is becoming more and more necessary as the number of suicidal deaths rises.

Not many people know that September is Suicide Prevention Month or that September 10 is National Suicide Prevention Day. The AFSP hosts 300 community walks for people to raise money all over the United States for Suicide Awareness. One of these walks will be held September 20th, in Orchards Park, Bentonville, AR. The AFSP also has a social campaign where supporters can hashtag their tweets or Instagram posts and tag the foundation @afspnational in the posts. The hashtags are #StopSuicide and #SOSchat. The foundation is also giving away a prize for those who tag them and use the hashtags. The AFSP also has merchandise from “Be The Voice” available to buy online to help raise money for Suicide Awareness.

“Suicide Prevention Month is a month where everyone should honor those who lost their battle and those still fighting theirs. It should be a month where people come together to help people who need it,” said sophomore Cristen Wright.

Depression is the leading cause of suicide and kids as young as six years old are taking their own lives.

The third highest rate of death in teenagers is suicide. Organizations such as National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and To Write Love On Her Arms want to make everyone more aware of mental illnesses that can lead to self-harm.

“The most important thing about this month is looking out for those who are a little more depressed and get to them before depression does,” said junior Zach Anderson.

When someone thinks about suicide, typically they believe that no one will miss them; in reality, it’s hard for close friends and loved ones to cope with it. Their parents, their friends, and their siblings will miss them.

Senior Haley Leger wants to send those who are struggling a message: “Please don’t kill yourself because you don’t think anyone will care, because I promise you someone does. And if you’re just so adamant that nobody will, I will… The world would be a little less bright without any one of you”.