DACA deadline approaches

President Trump touches on the DACA issue

Halle Roberts, Editor

This upcoming March, President Donald Trump plans to revisit the issue concerning DACA and the “Dream Act”. He says he’ll revisit the subject, but that’s only if Congress allows him to build the wall. For many , President Trump’s neglect of the “Dreamers” in our country is downright offensive and not okay. DACA, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, is a program that  allowed immigrants who came over illegally as minors to be protected from immediate deportation. This program has allowed thousands of young adults to obtain their driver’s license, enroll in  college, and various other opportunities. With President Trump now in office, he plans to repeal the program and send thousands of “Dreamers” back to their home countries.

“There was a reason they came over here; if they go back they could be in danger,” said junior Janelley Lopez.

While the DACA program is waiting for approval, President Trump portrays his view on it:

DACA is probably dead because the Democrats don’t really want it, they just want to talk and take desperately needed money away from our Military;” said Trump via Twitter on January 14, 2018.

Many lives will be affected and drastically altered if the DACA program is ended. The lives of nearly 800,000 young adults that are undocumented could l be changed for the worse.

“I feel that it’s unfair to all of those that didn’t have a decision and to the parents that just wanted their children to have a better life. Why should they be punished for it?” said junior Adrian Gonzales.

As March comes closer, the fear and uncertainty settles. Many ask the question: why dismantle the program? President Trump referred to the DACA program as an “illegal amnesty” and gave light to his distaste for it early on. During his presidential campaign he seemed persistent in his views, but he later  told the associated press that the DACA recipients  could “rest easy”. However, the program has done anything but that as the March deadline comes closer.

“It’s unfair,” said Har-Ber teacher Leo Hernandez, “it’s limiting students from reaching their dreams in the future.”