Winter Songs

Peyton Wilson, Reporter

It’s hard to have a stereotypical winter day without quality music that supports the season. The smooth undertones of a tune that relaxes you despite the cold weather shows true musical talent in an artist, and the music a person chooses to listen to says a lot about them.  As a high school student, it’s easy to get stressed when thinking about the second semester and everything that comes with it, so here are five songs that are a must for this winter season (and for keeping your sanity).

1. “Castle Street” by Lewis Watson– The acoustic guitar and impeccable voice of Lewis Watson will make any girl swoon.  He’s singing of love, and loss, and how to make up after a fight with the one you care about.  The winter weather can make any person feel a little down, and his words about finding a spot you can just relax in makes anyone feel comfortable, despite the chilly air.  
  2. “Where’s Your Heart Gone” by Golden Youth– Filled with a smooth female voice paired with a pounding bass and steady electric guitar, this one will make your head bob (at least a little).  Beautiful lyrics about keeping your love close to you accompanied by an upbeat drum-set will make any winter depression disappear.  
  3. “We Don’t Eat” by James Vincent McMorrow– He has a doozy of a name, but makes an even bigger statement with his music’s bold dissonance and contradicting rhythms.  McMorrow’s song, “We Don’t Eat,” reminisces on his childhood memories of always waiting until his father was home to eat dinner with his family, and it tells a longing story of patience and trust.  It’s a song of hope, and it’s a song of family, and it’s a song giving wonderful advice to the future generations of what family should do: spend time together, love each other unconditionally, and most importantly, trust each other.
  4. “Omen (Acoustic)” by Sam Smith– There’s no words to capture the way Sam Smith’s voice can move people, no matter the season or weather.  The cool tones combined with the syncopated beat of a synth makes “Omen” a perfect contemporary jazz song that is a must for your winter playlist.
  5. “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters” by Elton John–  This Elton John classic speaks the words of wisdom and ponderings of artists, because everyone can be accommodating to people, and everyone can speak words of beauty. It takes you back to a time of happy memories and wakes you up from the reality of high school, and it will put a smile on anyone’s face.