Life after football

Mollie Ownbey, Sports Editor

Soon the once-packed football stadium will sit in solitude; chairs which were filled with seas of blue and white will remain empty, and the cheers for the boys in uniform will cease. The turnover of the season is upon us. Football is coming to a close, despite the wishes against its ending.

For juniors and sophomores, it will end just to begin again. Seniors will embark on the journey of closing a chapter to a sport most of them have always known.

“I have played football my entire life so it is depressing that the end of the season is so close,” said senior William Coats.

After spending 3 years of their life practicing, playing, and wearing a Wildcat jersey, this off season will look a little different.

“I will get a job and continue to work out on a daily basis to get prepared for my future in the military,” said Coats.

Coats is battling a decision on whether to attend West Point, The University of Arkansas, or Texas A&M, but despite his decision he plans to major in mechanical engineering.

For Senior Ross Washburn, he will continue to be a part of a team, and join the bowling team to take up his free time.

“Coach Haney has done a really good job with the program and I look forward to being apart of it,” said Washburn.

Taking the lessons of hard work and teamwork they have learned from being apart of the Wildcat football program, the seniors plan on using these life lessons in the future.

“I will miss my friends and all of the coaches who have impacted my life greatly. It might suck in the moment when they are angry, but it’s all worth it and I love those men,” said senior Ross Childress.

For Coats the comradery and brotherhood that each player experiences is the best thing about this program.

“We have all built bonds together over the years and that is something I will always cherish,” said Coats.

Life after football will be an emotional adjustmentment for the seniors, but the future will bring new adventures as well.

“I’m going to get myself ready for a new life that is about to come real quick. Football has made me a stronger person, and now I have the discipline to go get what I want and achieve,” said Childress.