Students understanding the weight of their votes

Will Crotts, Reporter

Walking into the polling station on November eighth, senior Serena Mcclarrinon steps into the booth, ready to place her vote for who the next president will be. The months leading up to this moment involved many decisions, eventually leading Mcclarrinon to this one big decision. This is a decision millions of Americans face every four years, and this year, some Har-Ber seniors will be able to have their say.

With the two major presidential candidates facing a lot of controversy leading up to the election, many voters find themselves struggling to pick a side, or even picking a candidate at all. Some have even adopted the motto of “the lesser of two evils” when deciding on candidates.

“I think a lot of people aren’t voting because they don’t like either candidate, so if you have any preferences towards any candidate, you should vote for them because then your vote would matter. If you’re looking at both of them and they’re both bad but one is less bad, you should speak out for the one that’s less bad,” Mcclarrinon said.

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are both some of the least favorable candidates in presidential history. For example, their unfavorability rate among registered voters is up to 10% higher than President Obama when he was campaigning in 2008 according to 952 polls tracked by The Huffington Post.

“I think the voter turnout would be less because people can’t bring themselves to vote for either candidate,” senior Jacob Velliquette said.

With the two main candidates being so controversial, some students have looked into third party candidates.

“I think if you’re willing to put your vote out for a third party that’s important because it might show that we need a third party and I think we may need a third party candidate,” Mcclarrinon said.

Some students who are passionate about this year’s election may not be able to vote, but their opinions can still be heard. With only a minority of seniors being able to vote, the rest of the student body can only weigh in on their opinions of the candidates and whether they think their votes would matter.

“I think the election will be close enough this year so that each vote will matter. Although third parties do matter, I don’t think my vote would if I voted for one just because there’s not a good chance third party would get elected,” junior Benjy Baugh said.