Center spread

Olivia Staumbaugh, Reporter

Being the fastest male in the state, junior Payton Copher steals records and makes his way to the top. Considering the racial stereotypes made by society that African Americans are faster, stronger, and all around better athletes, Copher believes he is treated differently because he is Caucasian and faster than anyone in the state.

“Yes, I do feel like I am treated differently because I am white and I have the speed,” Copher said. “It is rare that a white male has my kind of speed.”

Because of the stereotype, Copher feels he is looked at differently by people. It is not as common today to have outstanding performances from the white community. There is a gap of this opinion between races. Most African American’s believe the stereotype is ridiculous and not real, while most people agree with it.

“I don’t think the melanin in my skin has made me a better player in soccer,” junior Katelyn Capdeville said.

White or black, the hard work of an athlete determines the output of their performance.

“You put the work in as person, regardless of race, train to be the best, you will stack up with the best athletes in the world,” football and track Coach Wayne Hall said.

However, some African Americans have seen the stereotype to be somewhat real.

“Athletes are athletes. I don’t necessarily say all black athletes are better than white athletes. There are just an abundance of great black athletes,” senior Trey Smith said.  

Looking into the sports world, we see majority of sport stars are African American. Muhammed Ali, Serena Williams, LeBron James, Sanya Richards-Ross, Allyson Felix, Usain Bolt, and Gabby Douglas are just a few of highly successful athletes who are African American. Now, if you think about major white sport stars, you will probably only be able to come up with a couple. Lance Armstrong, Shaun White and Lindsey Vonn, there are just not as many influential white athletes as there are African American.  

“A lot of people ask me if I play basketball, because I’m black, I’m assuming,” Capdeville said.

According to www.sportsreadingnews.com, 74.4% of NBA players are black, so you can see how these racial stereotypes develop.

Soccer is the most diverse sport there is, according to http://www.diversityinc.com/, 48% of MLS players are white, 25% latino, 10% Afrircan American and 20% percent other race. However we see a trend the Hispanics dominate the sport locally. Harber team members seem to disagree that hispanics are better than other races in soccer.

“I’ve seen a lot of good white soccer players, but I feel like they have worked extra hard to be at the level of each player around them whenever it’s a Hispanic, Marshallese, or African American,” senior Vanessa Reynoso said.

Seeing all the different shades on the field the girl’s soccer team coaches make sure no one is being discriminated by being darker toned.

“Coach Hernandez would speak Spanish sometimes because some girls didn’t speak English very well at all.

Dealing with racism against African American athletes or any race is a real thing. Hall explained that when he was a junior in high school, playing in a playoff game against Marshall almost resulted in a riot. Marshall High School was a mainly all white school in Searcy, while Starkman had a good mix of all races.

“I was probably called every name in the book on the bottom of the pile. I was hit, kicked, and punched by two of their players, a riot almost broke out, and the team had to be escorted off the field by Starkman Police,” Hall said.

However, Hall doesn’t hold that against white people. He knows not everyone is racist, along with Smith who believes because of his skin, he is not treated any differently.

“I manage to keep a smile on my face and keep pushing… not worth my time,” Hall said.

However, Capdeville has experienced some racial slurs from teammates.

“There are some girls on my team who have called me “negra” for almost a year now. It gets tiring. My name is Katelyn,” Capdeville said.

Comments like these can leave one feeling oppressed. That word, especially today, has had a huge effect on the population. For example, Colin Kaepernick taking a knee before a game while the National Anthem was being played created a huge controversy.

“I don’t know if I agree with the whole sitting down during the National Anthem, but again we do need to make the world aware that African Americans are suffering,” Smith said.

Although Smith may not agree with taking a knee during our nation’s colors, he agrees that everyone has the freedom of speech. Even if it is going to be at a football game, the awareness needs to be raised regardless.

“I feel that if you are passionate about something, you will do it whenever you feel the need to, no matter who is watching,” Capdeville said.

She feels strongly on expressing your feelings and defending those who are oppressed anywhere, even at a professional football game. Whether it is stereotypes, racials slurs on the field, or taking a knee during the National Anthem, athletes and people alike desire to feel equal.