Admin clears up rules for student section

Ashton Moreland, Managing Editor

Senior Drew Dodson bolts through the field house in a huddle amongst other football players, deafening screams ringing in his ears as they echo throughout the stadium. He looks straight ahead as a cloud of white smoke lingers in the air. Students clasp their hands together as the white baby powder between everyone’s fingers hits the air. Players assume their position for kick off. One of Dodson’s favorite moments won’t be the same anymore, however, as the use of baby powder has now been prohibited to students. It was a tradition for years that is now no longer allowed for the use of students at football games. School spirit must now be shown in other ways, and even those must be approved by administration before being put into action. Students’ opinions have greatly differed over this new rule. Some see this baby powder ban as a tradition now broken, while others see it as a safety precaution put into action.

“I don’t like it. There’s nothing like running out of the field house and seeing the powder in the air. I feel like it really diminishes cohesion between fans and players. It’s a tradition that is broken. Pure and simple. If it isn’t outlawed by the AAA, why should we outlaw it?” said Dodson.

Senior Council Sponsor Kimberly Biondo McFarland agrees with the decision of no longer allowing baby powder in games. Due to her health issues, the baby powder makes it hard for McFarland to breathe.

“It’s never been liked by administration. I don’t know the actual circumstances, but I believe it was decided due to multiple complaints by fans and for health safety issues,” said McFarland.

McFarland also believes that the use of baby powder has not been a tradition set by Har-Ber, but that students started using baby powder after seeing it done at Bentonville. She thinks that Har-Ber students should “do their own thing” and it seems that streamers will be “that thing.” It is Senior Council’s responsibility to substitute baby powder with streamers, however members of Senior Council have yet to get them rolled.

If baby powder is still used at games, it is to McFarland’s understanding that those students will be removed from the game and will be subjected to disciplinary action the next week. However, McFarland has found that from most of the students she’s talked to have been very understanding with this decision.

“I have no idea what goes into decisions at other schools, but I know here at Har-Ber every decision is based on what’s best for the majority of students at Har-Ber. Also, administration has to consider fans other than students, as well as the public’s safety at all school events,” said Mcfarland.

Senior Class president Gracie Boortz is sad to see what she believes to be a tradition at Har-Ber gone after 10 years. However, Boortz also sees that some students were put in danger due to health issues and thinks that others should accept this safety precaution.

“It’s going to be really hard to get students to understand what’s going on, but I think once they catch on it’ll be really cool with the streamers flying in the air at kick off. Although I think everyone has had a pretty positive attitude about it so far. Yes, everyone’s been sad about it, but everyone is also being mature and I think that’s awesome,” said Boortz.