Homecoming evolves over time

Payton Primm, News Editor

Library Media Specialist Cathy Vernor stands beside the punch bowl, dressed in a long formal gown, surrounded by the sound of a live band playing a lineup of dance-worthy hits. Vernor is a junior in high school, and she is enjoying her school’s annual fall homecoming dance with her date and friends.

“When I was in high school, we had music that was played by a band, not a DJ like today’s homecoming dances,” Vernor said.

Music is an ever-changing component of homecoming dances, and something that will distinguish generation gaps for years to come, according to junior Kade Keith.

“The music is definitely a lot different, and it’s not as formal nowadays as it was in the 80’s and 90’s,” Keith said.  

Music is one aspect of school dances that has adapted with each generation, and the same is true for styles of dresses and formal wear.

“Bowties weren’t a thing when I was in high school, and they seem to be quite the trend among guys these days- that, and crazy socks,” English teacher Rachel Cockrell said. “Dress fashions have changed through the years, but the two piece dress is definitely a trend that this generation has made popular.”

The debate over going with a date or going with friends to homecoming has also changed throughout the years. While it seemed to be more popular among students to have dates during the 1980s and 1990s, some students have made a transition towards going with their friends to the annual dance.

“I think it’s fun to get all dressed up with some of your friends, take pictures, and get dinner. Then just chilling after as a group is fun too,” senior Caroline Wood said.

Despite the differences that have arisen in homecoming traditions throughout the years, the dance will always share one significant similarity: the night is all centered around having fun.

“As a senior, I know it’s my last homecoming, and so for me it’s all about having fun and making memories,” Wood said.