Where are they now? Elizabeth Ellenbarger

Gabriella Maestri, News Editor

Part of the graduating class of 2011, Elizabeth Ellenbarger exemplified the meaning of an involved and successful student during her time in school. As a sophomore she played volleyball until a knee injury forced her to quit. She then joined yearbook and went to serve as editor her senior year. Ellenbarger was president of Junior Class Council, a member of National Honor Society and Vice President of National Spanish Honor Society. She also took AP classes adding to her already packed schedule.

“The teachers I had at Har-Ber both challenged me to work my fullest potential and instilled in me the belief that I could do whatever I set my mind to. Juggling athletics, studies, and extracurriculars taught me valuable time management and prioritization skills that have been so vital to succeeding in college,” said Ellenbarger.

Currently a senior at the University of Arkansas Fort Smith, Ellenbarger will be graduating this May with her bachelor’s of science in nursing. Along with school, Ellenbarger works part time at a fitness center and Chick-Fil-A both in Fort Smith where she has been employed at both for nearly 2 years. The past few years for Ellenbarger have been great and she attributes much of that to the strong academic foundation she developed alongside the life lessons she learned at Har-Ber High school.

“The thing I miss most about Har-Ber is the incredible staff. Every teacher I had has impacted me in some way. I am so grateful for the encouragement they gave- it’s a big deal when you know that someone believes in you! I know that each of my teachers believed in me and that has profoundly impacted my life since my time at Har-Ber,” said Ellenbarger.

Attending UAFS wasn’t a serious consideration for Ellenbarger until she received an unexpected full-ride academic scholarship there, which made her decision on going rather easy. Although Ellenbarger was at the top of her class, she still had the issue every other senior has; not knowing what comes next.

“I would encourage seniors that it’s okay not to have your life mapped out. Don’t be overwhelmed if you don’t know what you want to do or if your plans don’t work out like you expected. Sometimes the biggest blessings are situations that turned out vastly different than you planned,” said Ellenbarger.